PDA

View Full Version : AME 2.5 - Media Embedding for posts, sigs, vm's, groups and blogs

thanhdia
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
From the makers of the letters O and Yea comes the hottest 'must have mod' of the season: AME 2.5 - The Return of The Hot Mama.

Thanks everyone for making AME 2.5 Mod of the Month

AME is the multi award winning modification that smartly scans new and edited posts for URLs from a customisable variety of web sites (i.e. YouTube or Amazon or about 200 others). If it finds a match, AME will 'transform' the URL into inline embedded media without your users ever having to even think about it.

It was important for me to create a system that did not need updating (and subsequent reinstalling) every time one of the sites it supported decided to change the way it displayed its media (which is all the fricken time). Therefore I built a system in which the 'definitions' for each site could be imported, exported, tweaked and shared on a whim. This way, you only have to import the definitions that you want. It also allows the vB community to get creative and share definitions that I wouldn't of thought of!

Which sites are supported?

Included in the default installation is YouTube and Amazon. At time of posting this, I believe that there are over 180 sites supported that have been created by the vBulletin community. These range from sites that stream videos to Amazon referral links to locally hosted music and video files.

Check out the 'add ons' section of this post below to see availible add-ons.

For a total list of features and an FAQ, see click here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1719062&postcount=2).
For a post on troubleshooting, click here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1719064&postcount=3).

Though not tested on any version of vBulletin lower than 3.7.4, in theory it should work on versions 3.5 and higher (just dont quote this bit!).

Big thanks goes out to all those in the community that have supported this mod. Especially Digital Jedi who gives great support on this mod and has created over 160 definitions for this system alone!

Installation/Upgrade

Upload the contents of the forums folder into your forums directory and import the product-ame.xml file into your product manager (if upgrading, choose 'yes' to overwrite previous installation).
After installation, make sure that the system is on (admincp->AME CP->Settings)
Then you may want to try to rebuild old URLs via the tools option.

Change Log

20/1/09 - Uploaded to vb.org
22/1/09 - v. 2.5.2. Adresses a couple minor issues and character sets
23/1/09 - v. 2.5.3 minor update: Fixed ksort error on import and nomedia display (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1722164#post1722164)
3/2/09 - v. 2.5.4 minor update to address rare bug with some page titles (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1734026#post1734026)
3/7/09 - v.2.5.5 minor updates to address rare bug editing media with brackets in name (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1841926#post1841926)

nJoy

thanhdia
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Features:

Allows user to simply 'paste' in a URL (i.e. a youtube link) without needing to know any special tags. However instead of displaying just the URL, it will show the media embedded within the post
is lightweight as it does all of her chores without the overhead of having 1 bbcode per pattern or trying to parse a post every single time it gets displayed with a bunch of patterns. AME radically reduces overhead and speeds up processing. The only time ame will kick in is after creating a new post or after editing an existing one (or if an ame tag is found)
is extensible. She allows you to add, edit, delete, import and export patterns. That way you can decide which services to support, how they should look and then share them with others! At time of typing this, there are over 150 media sites that have been contributed by vBulletin.org members
can extract the media title (requires your server to allow url wrappers with fetch_contents or ccurl)
can extract embed code from sites whose URLs do not contain sufficient information to embed the video
can rebuild your old posts to convert your 'other' mediaish tags into URL tags.
can rebuild your old posts, blogs, comments, visitor and social group messages to convert URL tags into ame tags where needed
can convert her codes BACK to url codes so you're not stuffed with a bunch of dead tags if you uninstall!
won't uglify your site by having videos appear in quotes, php, code or html blocks (blech!)
can be globally disabled
can be excluded from forums
can exclude usergroups
can be toggled on/off per post, blog, comment, visitor and social group message
would cook dinner for you if she had arms
can wrap the output in a 'container' with original URL
has a super comprehensive admincp help system. Yes, I actually took the bloody time to add all the info you need into vB's admincp help system. If you ask a silly question in this thread that is addressed in the help system, you will be taunted.
is fully phrased
has hooks around integral operations so you can extend it
Supports embedding in vbBlog, Visitor Messages and Social Groups.
Can be disabled in one or more of the following sections: Posts, vbBlog, Visitor Messages and/or Social Groups
Validation ability. This will help prevent media being embedded that can not be embedded (i.e. youtube videos that the author has stipulated can not be shown off of youtube). This option requires the extraction option to be turned on and a valid validation regexp. I have included one in the default youtube version. When a video on you tube gets embedded, but the author doesnt allow embedding, a link (with icon) is shown instead.
Ability to prevent non authorised usergroups from viewing (see Readme file in zip for more info)
Usergroup permissions (edit usergroup to adjust edit/view permissions)
Template driven system
Signatures supported
Different sizes and template configurations for each supported zone (posts, blogs, groups, visitor messages and signatures)
A couple new hooks (Mainly to support a future add on for AME media in profiles)
Notfication system (similar to vB's to check for errors)
Definition keys for easier updating of definitions and to use in templates
File caching system which radically reduces processing
And more that I cant think of off the top of my head!

FAQ's

Can you make me a definition for xyz? Personally, no - I just don't have the time, however there are plenty others that do (Digital Jedi being the grand champion).
Can I use my definitions from a previous version? You should be fine with many of the definitions for AME 2.0 however many of the new features will not work until the definitions have been updated.