PDA

View Full Version : Panic Button

thanhdia
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
What Does This Hack Do?
This is an update to my 3.7.x (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183657) version of this hack.

Your own vBulletin Boss Key, is displayed in the postbit of each post, so you can quickly click yourself to the safety of legitimate url when the boss turns up, while you are at work.

I have created a custom button for this hack, you can use another button if you like, just remember to rename it panic.gif. You can have a different button for each style, as long as each one is named panic.gif.

NOTE: Any Panic Button you see in a thread is tied to your profile, even if it is in someone else's postbit (to prove it, disable the Panic Button in the your UserCP)

This hack was created because of a requested here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157640).

If your members report errors when clicking on the panic button, first thing to ensure is that they used the full url (including http://) when typing in the site their panic button will go to, ie http://www.google.com (will work) and not like this - www.google.com (will not work). The second thing to check for, is that the Panic Button - URL Jump box is not empty.

Limitation with this hack
People keep asking for usergroup permissions for this hack.

While this would easy to implement, what people fail to realise is that User Profile Fields are not controlled by usergroup permissions at all, and even if usergroup permissions were added to this hack, the User Profile Fields would still be viewable by members even if they do not have permissions to use them.

User Profile Fields are either viewable by all or viewable by none, this is how they were implemented in vBulletin by design, there is no in between with User Profile Fields.

So, I will not be adding usergroup permissions to this hack.

vBulletin Version Compatibility
This hack can be used with v3.8.0, v3.7.5, v3.6.12 and later versions. This hack should also work fine with earlier versions of v3.7.x and v3.6.x.

Hack Support/Feature Requests
I will not be providing any support at all to people who have not clicked Mark as Installed.

I will provide limited free support for this hack in this thread only.

Free limited support for this hack is in its unaltered form, and does not include supporting alterations to this hack, custom code, custom template edits and integration with other third-party hacks.

I will only add features to this hack if I find the request interesting and would find it useful to have on one of my sites.

As with all of the hacks I release here for free, I code for fun and code hacks the way I like them, then release them so you can benefit. If I am not interested in adding a feature, do not take offence, it is that is a feature that does not interest me personally.

However, if you would like additional paid support for alterations to this hack, custom code, custom template edits, integration with other third-party hacks or adding features that not interest me (but you would like added for your site), then feel free to make a paid work request via Private Message (in the PM title you should indicate it is a paid work request), and we can discuss your request. If it is not a paid work request PM, I will more than likely ignore and delete the PM without a response.

Install/Uninstall Instructions
The Panic Button Installation Instructions 3.8.xxx.pdf instructions file is included in attached .zip (includes instructions and pictures)

Version History
v3.8.002 - Friday 27th March 2009
-- Fixed: Uncached Template
-- Added: Uninstall Instructions

v3.8.001 - Friday 9th January 2009
-- Initial Release

Thanks
Thanks go out to Paul M who gave me permission to use some of his install code.

Show Your Appreciation
Although not required, if you have enjoyed the benefits of this hack, and would like show your appreciation for my efforts, then please feel free to click on the Support Developer link and donate any amount you feel is appropriate.